Kenmore and District Historical Society Incorporated
The Kenmore & District Historical Society Inc was formed through a Steering Committee with Pat Dryden as convenor late in 2013. Sue Turner, Brian Becconsall, Sue Deal and Fryi Fahir were involved in that early stage.
The Society aims to research, promote, record and publish the history of the Kenmore district, including the suburbs of Kenmore, Kenmore Hills, Chapel Hill, Fig Tree Pocket and Pullenvale.
The Annual General Meetings held in November each year and the committee meets each October for a planning day to assess current activities and to plan for the next year.
A Management Committee was formed early in 2014 and first met in February and became officially incorporated in May 2014. At October 2016 there are 62 members of the Society, many of them having lived in the Kenmore district for many decades. There are also younger people who have a keen interest in understanding the continuity of the community in which they live.
The current committee members are:
3878 4330 firstname.lastname@example.org
PO Box 47, Kenmore, Qld, 4069
3374 2663 email@example.com
Resource Location and Arrangements
The Kenmore and District Historical Society (KDHS) has a collection of resources covering a broad range of themes on Kenmore and district. The RSL have generously allowed KDHS to store these valuable resources, as well as a computer, at the RSL rooms at the Fairview Aged Care Facility, Pinjarra Hills. The room is a place where students are encouraged by the RSL to research from the RSL’s collection, and where members of KDHS can view the society’s resources and research material.
Please note that the KDHS collection can be viewed by appointment only. If any members wish to view our records please contact the Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Members Jim and Barbara Shepherd are researching Kenmore and district postal and mailing services. The first postal service in the overall district appears to have been at Moggill in 1861. In those early years the mail was run from a store and this was the case with Moggill. Sometimes the service was run from a school as happened at Fig Tree Pocket from 1871. The next district postal services opened in Brookfield in 1876, then Pullenvale in 1878 and Indooroopilly in the early 1880s. Right up into the 20th century, farming families at Kenmore had ‘C/- Post Office, Indooroopilly’ as their postal address.
To contribute to this research please contact Jim Shepherd, email@example.com