Chapel Hill Cemetery
The Chapel Hill Uniting Church and Cemetery are located at the junction of Chapel Hill Road and Moggill Road in Chapel Hill, Queensland. The church was established in 1874 and was originally named the Primitive Methodist Church. It has since been named the Indooroopilly Methodist Church, The Chapel Hill Methodist Church and now the Chapel Hill Uniting Church.
The first burial in the cemetery was in 1875. Many of those buried at Chapel Hill Cemetery were early pioneers in the district. It is estimated that there are almost 200 people there.
The cemetery plan shows a fairly symmetrical layout with a wide ‘aisle’ down the middle. There are marked graves but there are many more that are unmarked. Church records from the past 140 years are not complete but list most of the people buried there.
The recent research into the cemetery was undertaken by Judy Magub on behalf of the Kenmore & District Historical Society. A search was made of newspapers from 1874 to 1954 for funeral notices and these revealed some people in the cemetery who were not recorded.
Further research was carried out recording the stories of many of the people using Trove digitised newspapers; Ancestry.com; electoral records; Birth, Death & Marriage records; Qld Burials Transcription; church records and published works.
The following list shows surname, christian names, date of birth, date of death, age at death, registration number (or NIR = Not in Register), and section/allotment in the cemetery.
If anyone is seeking more information on these people listed or would like to contribute to their stories, please contact Judy Magub, firstname.lastname@example.org